Monday, March 10, 2008

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare


I don't think I talk much about games in this blog. But today I decided to write about this intense shooter game. If you have watched those movies like Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, and have always wanted to see how you can manage a squad/team into combat missions, this game is for you.

If you have tried the Demo version of this game, I am sure you have been surprised by the clarity and realism of the game. Apart from the so real-life surroundings and body movements, you actually feel like you are in a real combat. I played this game by blasting my speakers and I'd have to say this is has to be as real as it gets. The fact that you are playing in almost realistic environments (and not on some fictional alien planet) really puts you in a stressful condition. I have to admit, the first time I played the demo, I just couldn't stop looking at the surroundings. It is so real! Of course, it distracted me a bit so I got hit many times and had to start over. :P

Apart from the amazing graphic detail and clear surround sounds, the game is not repetitive. Repetitive meaning, if you actually got killed and start over, the gameplay doesn't appear the same. Enemies will appear randomly, so you still have to check your corners every time you start over. They won't usually appear at the same corner you'd think they are. In worst case scenarios, you'd actually get a whole lot more enemies just waiting to barrage you with gun fire.

Anyway, I bought the game and completed the missions through the weekend. Even though I have completed it, it didn't bore me to try it again and again. That's just how action packed it is. And if you think this missions is just about shooting your enemies you are wrong. Although, I do enjoy the shooting, there will be missions where you have to be covert and infiltrate enemy areas. This takes a lot of patience and good hand control. Also, there will be areas where you have to make decisions that will effect the outcome of the game. So make sure you know where you are headed, because some rooms are much more intense than the others.

In most parts, there is more than enough blood and violence to keep your heart elevated. But you have to make a number of split second decisions if you and your team are to survive. There is one mission where you have to take point and lead your men out into the LZ (landing zone) within a few minutes. There will be different routes to reach the destination but each route is surrounded with hordes of enemies. So running quickly and calling for air support is crucial in this mission.

This game has been awarded over 40 E3 Awards including Best of Show, Best Action Game, Best Shooter and Best Graphics. It is also a multiple Game of the Year winner. The designers of this game has done well, not just in visual and sound but also in storyline and production. The game hasn't bored me just yet as I am still replaying some missions.

And if you think you can't play this game on your pc or laptop, I think you can. In fact I am playing this game on my laptop. Mine is a 2Ghz Dual Core processor, 2GB of RAM and ATI Radeon X2300. Bear in mind this isn't a gaming laptop, but I got a 2GB Ram because it was a free upgrade. :) The game doesn't get choppy for me, still plays ok. At times it gets a little difficult to aim when you have a barrage of enemies coming towards you. Maybe because I got too excited and do not know who to shoot and the worst part is you get 'hit indicators' which tells you which direction you are hit but sometimes you can't see where the bloody enemy is shooting from because they keep hiding behind walls, etc.

The specs isn't that high end unlike other shooter games.


Minimum Requirements

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 2.4 GHz or AMD(R) Athlon(TM) 64 2800+ processor or any 1.8Ghz Dual Core Processor or better supported
RAM: 512MB RAM (768MB for Windows Vista)
Hard Drive: 8GB of free space
Video card: NVIDIA(R) Geforce(TM) 6600 or better or ATI(R) Radeon(R) 9800 Pro or better

Recommended Specs

CPU: 2.4 GHz dual core or better
RAM: 1G for XP; 2G for Vista
Hard Drive: 8GB of free space
Video card: 3.0 Shader Support recommended. Nvidia Geforce 7800 or better or ATI Radeon X1800 or better


So try out the demo and play it. Heck, I bought COD 4 the next day after playing the demo, you might just do the same. :)

Call of Duty 4 website

No comments: