Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Myths of Body Building - Myth #1


I did a presentation on bodybuilding myths some years back when I was in NS. I started doing weights when I was 16 and after that time, I have learnt a lot on bodybuilding. At the same time, I learned the common myths that people still believe are true. Even now, some of my friends still have certain misconceptions on bodybuilding.

For this week, I will list 7 Myths of bodybuilding. Before I move on to the myths of body building, let me explain what body building is.

Body building is - The process of developing the musculature of the body through specific types of diet and physical exercise, such as weightlifting, especially for competitive exhibition.


Myth #1 -Lifting incredibly slowly builds incredibly big muscles


Lifting weights slowly just tires your muscles, it doesn't build incredibly big muscles. University of Alabama researchers recently studied two groups of lifters doing a 29-minute workout. One group performed exercises using a 5-second up phase and a 10-second down phase, the other a more traditional approach of one second up and one second down. The faster group burned 71 percent more calories and lifted 250 percent more weight than the super slow lifters.

The best way is to lift rapidly and lower slowly. There's greater potential for growth during the lowering phase, and when you lower with control, there's less chance of injury.

Tomorrow: Myth #2

No comments: