Saturday, October 27, 2007

Movie Review: Rendition


Tagline: When if some one you love.. just disappeared?

I think the tagline should have been more different, more powerful perhaps. The current tagline sounds like an alien abduction and doesn't justify the amazing story of this film.

The last time I saw Jake Gyllenhaal and Peter Scarsgaard together in a film was Jarhead. That movie had a catchy tagline: Welcome to suck; but the movie I think should have had more action, that movie ending was kinda of an anti-climax for me. Just imagine sitting down watching through the movie seeing them both train to be the best snipers and when they are called onto the Gulf War, neither fired a single shot at the enemy. Yeah it definitely was 'Welcome to suck'!

Anyway, Rendition is a movie about an Egyptian born man who has a family in the US, is being caught suspected of being an accomplice to a recent terrorist attack, thrown into a secret detention facility outside US and being interrogated mercilessly. Somehow this act is legal under the US constitution ever since the ammendment after 911.

Now I know some of you may have seen this kind of plot before, man got caught because he is a suspect of a terrorist attack/plot, he gets interrogated with unorthodox methods, some radical group starts attacking and how everything starts to get into a direction of chaos.

Well this movie is something like that, but trust me, it is much more. There is love involved in this movie, brotherhood, death, the usual terrorist and infidel accusations. The cinematography is pretty good, acting was pretty ok, but the story line is amazing. I don't want to spoil it for you, but the ending would just really leave you shocked, puzzled. It is one of those not so famous movies that is really good to watch.

There were some slow parts which I think should have been kept short or maybe be taken out. Nevertheless the storyline like I said before was amazing. After watching this movie, I feel like watching it again because I felt fooled at the end. I remember watching one guy in the cinema just shocked and probably angry that the movie fooled him. But in the end you really appreciate th movie direction of thsi film.

Basically, what you think you know in the film, is not what you think.

Go watch it.

4 stars out of 5.

No comments: